Sunday 3 November 2019

Prototype part 1


Prototype part 1


As of now I can't get much done on Unity because there are many elements and assets that I can't import due to it needing to be paid or not usable in the current version of Unity.


Since bouncing the projectile could be a mechanic,
the environment should also cater to this mechanic.


So far this is what the first tutorial map should look like.
Simple layout and colours  which gets the job done.
Here's the ditch in the middle, to act as a kill pit if players tries to rush and jump
across to the other side.


The map has one high ground on each side and all flat terrain everywhere else. Besides the ditch in the middle, this map is very simple and needs to be very simple.
This map is to act as the very first map that the players sees and act as a practice map to understand the movement and mechanics of the game.


The issue I'm currently having is the fact that this map was made using nothing but 3D cubes. I want to know how to make a custom brush to use on the terrain so the process of making maps is lot less tedious.

Also I need to know how to make my own character models (simple ones, of course) so they can be used as character assets in Unity. The third-person model in Unity was wonky to use at best and I couldn't get it to work properly.

Right now, a third-person model (with first-person view), custom brush in Unity to use on terrain and maybe making my own character models is top priority so far. Implementing custom character models into the third-person mode while using first-person from the player perspective.

Not much progress now but I hope you're doing better!
Have a nice day!

(P.S. Hope the x-large images are very visible because there are a lot of details. Sorry if the blog layout looks funny.)


7 comments:

  1. Well a good day to you Zhen my good man!

    I must say that I am glad that I see that your game is going well and that you are going well with the Unity engine (you are having a better control over the Unity engine itself as I am having a complete and inter disaster with my one and I need some serious help with getting that working). Ahem sorry where was I oh yes I think that your game design idea is going along really well indeed and that I think that you will have a pretty great game on your hands in the end when you officially start working on this project concept itself (whenever that will be of course). Also I do understand yes, why must assets and stuff like that cost money when they should be free, it’s making this look like an EA game or the horse armour from Skyrim.All in all, I do feel that you will have a great game on your hands and I do look forward to see how it turns out when you develop and make the game because I can tell that it will be great.

    Cheerio!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Zhen,

    I am very please and surprised that you have gotten such a good start on your game and I like the fact that you have already started working on how the match or battle ground will take place because your game ideas are always very original and I can not wait to see what you come up with on this game. I was wondering if you made it so there is a GUI of a map to see enemies. I hope your game turns out good because I know you work very hard on your outlines and detail in your work. Till then I will see you later

    David

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there Zhen!
    This was a very interesting blog and loved reading it. I think your game is looking excellent and should produce a fantastic game. I loved the level of detail you went into on your designs and diagrams. Are you sure you will be able to get the assets? I hope you find assets and are able to continue with your game as I think it will be an excellent game.
    cya soon,
    Aaron Hogan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Zhen
    I was amazed how much you have gotten done in such a small amount of time we have had so far. I love how much detail you have gone into making your items/ structures on unity. I understand the pain of certain assets costing money, but hope that you hopefully find an alternative for these certain items/structures to help you in hopefully completing your game in the longrun.. Have you possibly considered adding certain color/ textures to the map to possibly make it optional for the player to unlock different style variants of the arena to help make each players experience more custom and unique as well as give incentive to play to unlock certain items? Just a thought at least.

    Either way your game is looking great and i cant wait to see how it progresses in the coming weeks. Best of luck in the coming weeks

    -Dillon
    (BTW don't sweat it the images of the map turned out looking great in the blog in the end).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Zhen,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog sorry to hear that you can't import any assets but your game still looks good I really like that you have sketches of your game planned out before hand of what your game is going to be so far your battle ground is plain and simple but I can still understand what it is going to be anyway hope to read more from you soon.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Zhen,

    I really like your blog and your project! It's clear you've been working hard on this and it shows! I know the hardest of importing assets and getting them to work. Still I think your game is looking great. I also know the great pain of using cubes to build a map/level design (thank god for control + D haha)

    One question I do have is your map too big ? When I look at the photo of your game in first person I feel like a child ! this problem will probably fixed when you start adding in modules and adjusting the camera.

    I also remember one of the blogs about your game and you mentioning items. Are you started working on those ? Since you didn't mention them I assuming your not, are you scrapping that or delaying that until you can get the assets ?

    Overall I can't wait to see the finish game !

    Y.I.S
    Sarah H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Zhen,

    I really like the ideas you have for your level design and I hope that you can figure out how to make a custom brush for creating more of these levels or at least figure out a faster and less tedious way of doing it. I also had trouble with the unity character models and can agree that they are very wonky but I can't wait to see the character models you design if you do end up designing them yourself, I think that would be a cool way to make the game very much yours. I hope your progress goes well from here on out, good luck!

    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete

Semester 2 Week 6 - Unity 6

Unity Tutorial 6 Alright there's something wrong with Unity today. For the tutorial, there a section that requires you to set up &qu...