Sunday 24 November 2019

Week 9 - Alpha


Week 9 - Alpha


Ok, my game is definitely not close enough to an alpha version yet but I have made some progress.
Here were some of the progress I have made over week 9:


1. I have fully implemented a working shooting script.
Originally, there was an issue where the projectile will not come out forward towards where the gun is facing but instead is shooting at the ground. I only realized the issue one day which was the orientation of the bullet spawner which was facing down the entire time.

The current shooting script is a simple "press mouse to fire and destroy enemy entity" script and as much as it is functional, it's not exactly what I'm looking for.
Number one, the projectile must deal exactly 1 point of damage. The enemies will have varying amounts of health: Red is average, having 10 HP. Blue is weaker but fast-moving, having only 4 HP. Green is the strongest but slow-moving, having 15 HP.
I have looked for many tutorials regarding Health and Damage and Health UI etc. and is currently having trouble putting them in Unity due to previously required elements from the earlier tutorial videos which can mis-match with my current codes.


2. I have made models of the three characters that will be in the game. RED, BLUE and GREEN. So far they only have different sizes. BLUE being the smallest, GREEN being the largest and RED is in between. Once I implement a functioning HP and DAMAGE system they will each have varying amounts of Health corresponding to their playstyle.

However, I don't have a script where I can get it working and there are no tutorials that I can find that makes the progress any easier.


Finally, I can do revenge to those pesky dummy models.
The shooting script finally being fixed definitely
felt really nice for once.

Future Tasks that I need to do in Unity:

Enemy AI and Stats: The enemy entities need to move within the given space while shooting at the Player. If the script can be manipulated to some degree, the same script can be used to make the allies' AI to shoot at the enemy.

One-Shot and Recharge: The gun needs to fire once and recharge automatically with a 3-second recharge time. The recharge time may change in the future. There also needs to be a recharge indicator on the UI.

More UI and Features: A Health display on the players UI, a timer UI to indicate the duration of a match, Recharge indicator for the gun... there's a lot that needs to be done as of now...


If you have found an Unity Tutorial video that might be helpful to someone, please send them that video and give them a hand.

Hope your game is coming along nicely.
Have a nice day!




5 comments:

  1. Hello there Zhen,
    It is great to see that you have made progress on your own game and that you are keeping up the hard and good work. It is very impressive that you are now able to shoot in your game. Was it difficult to get the coding to work for it? It seems difficult. I like the way you are making a difficult looking game which really shows off your Unity and game developing skills. I really like the look of your game a lot. It looks very enjoyable and I will be sure to play it when it is ready. It also looks like a game that I would play in my free time which is a good thing. I wish you luck in the next week with all your work and hope you can find the right tutorials. I will be sure to come back to see your progress
    Cya later,
    Aaron Hogan

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey there Zhen, your game looks awesome, i love that you've kept the aesthetics simple and really focused on the coding!
    are you going to keep the enemies different sizes once you change the enemy HP?
    cant wait to see the finished product of your game.
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Zhen,
    I really enjoyed reading your blog I feel like everyone is just trying to get there game done but other stuff keeps coming up and c# script doesn't work but you obviously put some time into your game and you have a working shooter which is really impressive as I can't even get my main menu to work so it is good to see that peoples c# script works even though you do not have a lot of design in your game I can still understand what your game is about. You obviously have your game all planned out and understand what you want to add into your game in the future which is really good anyway I will leave it there hope to read more about your game soon.
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Zhen

    Glad to see that you finally managed to fix the problem you were having with your shooting script and that you got to make your character assets Hope you can get all the other scripts you need to work too.

    Good luck
    Oisín

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Zhen!

    Great progress on your game, it's looking great so far and it has a unique direction going on. It looks like it'll be really fun to play once its complete!

    Will the different characters behave differently or all follow the same script? I'm aware you want to make them have different health points but it would be cool if some were faster than others and more aggressive than others.

    I recommend looking more into sample script on how to implement your desired features! Jimmy Vegas has lots of series of tutorials on his channel which could help you.

    Cant wait to give this game a try once it's done!

    Best of luck,
    Kay

    ReplyDelete

Semester 2 Week 6 - Unity 6

Unity Tutorial 6 Alright there's something wrong with Unity today. For the tutorial, there a section that requires you to set up &qu...